11 April 2007

Rutgers vs. Don Imus

I haven't gotten too much into cultural/political rantings, and I haven't posted in almost a year, but the Imus tempest-in-a-teapot is too tempting a target to resist. Particularly when one sees statements like this:

"I think that this has scarred me for life."

Matee Ajavon, junior guard, Rutgers University


I learned something a long time ago, Ms. Ajavon: sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. They can be upsetting, but you can't give in to them. Or you give asshat's like Imus - I've actually listened to his show a couple of times, but I simply couldn't get into it because of his asshattery - power over you. A better response would be

Imus doesn't know me. He doesn't know my teammates. He doesn't know what the frack he's talking about. He's not worth worrying about.


C. Vivian Stringer, criticized Imus for "racist and sexist remarks that are deplorable, despicable, abominable and unconscionable."


Maybe you should borrow some of your team's rap and hip-hop tunes and see what you think of the artist's lyrics, particularly where it concerns women. And I bet they get further and wider airplay than Imus does.

Well, did. Right up until everyone started pitching a fit and it ended up all over the place. We are well on our way to being the United States of the Offended.

Source for the quote: Xinhunet

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home