11 September 2007

September 11, 2001

Six years ago, on a Tuesday much like today, terrorists attacked the USofA. This is how I found out.

Shortly after 9am, our office manager knocked on my door. She was obviously upset, and said that a plane had struck the World Trade Center. I had no additional information - what plane? how many dead? - and continued on with work.

Then the email trickled in, particularly one mailing list I'm subscribed. "Wow, sucks to be in the World Trade Center". That piqued my curiousity. What was going on? There was insufficient website information - Google News didn't exist, as I recall. So I wandered upstairs where the other staff members at my workplace was trying to set up a TV to get a broadcast signal. I helped jury-rig an antenna, and we got a somewhat grainy, but viewable picture. CBS, as I recall. Shortly after, the second plane slammed into the north tower.

I knew then that the first plane was no accident, and that we were under attack. I speculated that this was the handiwork of Osama bin Laden and al Queda. Then the towers fell, the Pentagon was hit, and the FAA ordered all flights landed immediately. Then UA-93 was reported as being missing, and then finally reported as lost in a crash in Pennsylvania.

Kudos to the FAA, all the air traffic controllers, the airlines, the pilots, and the airports and their crews who managed a nearly impossible job of landing all airborne flights now. Some how, they managed, and did it well.

2 Comments:

At September 12, 2007 3:44 PM, Blogger LenSatic said...

I found you site through your comment at "Fire and Ice." I too wonder why it was hijacked.

I was trying to contact the Marine artist for a friend who is writing a book about today's young warriors.

I don't remember the Marine's name to do a search for him. If you know it or have a link, please contact me at pm90254@hotmail.com

As to your Sept 11 post, you forgot the Airline Dispatchers. :)

Thanks,
Pat

 
At September 12, 2007 6:15 PM, Blogger I R A Darth Aggie said...

E6B

(Prowler crew dog?)

CWO Michael D. Fay (I think) is the artist in question, and his new blog is http://mdfay1.blogspot.com/.

As to your Sept 11 post, you forgot the Airline Dispatchers. :)

D'oh! The History Channel has a show on the shutdown of air traffic on 9/11, and I recommend it highly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home